Packing List for Chimpanzee Trekking Safari in Nyungwe Forest
Packing List for Chimpanzee Trekking Safari in Nyungwe Forest: Visitors going for a chimpanzee trekking safari in Nyungwe national park in Rwanda should pack different equipment’s for the safari including;
- Chimpanzee trekking permit; this is a legal document that is issued allowing you to trek chimpanzee families in Nyungwe forest or Cyamudongo forest which is adjacent to Nyungwe national park. A chimpanzee trekking permit should be valid so as to allow you to trek a chimpanzee family for one hour. A chimpanzee trekking permit in Rwanda costs $90 for Foreign Non-Residents and $60 for Foreign Residents.
- Hiking boots, hiking should be comfortable so as to allow you to trek in the jungle for long hours and also to protect your feet from mud especially during the rainy season.
- Insect repellent, the insect repellent will protect you from the insects during trekking since the forest contains some biting insects such as tsetse flies, safari ants, mosquitos among others.
- Long sleeved shirt and trousers, these clothes will keep you warm while trekking in the forest and also protect your body from thorny trees.
- Long socks, the socks will be tucked into the long trousers to prevent the insects from entering your trousers and biting you while in the forest.
- Garden gloves, the garden gloves will protect your hands from germs and holding thorny and stinging plants when in trekking
- Waterproof rain jacket, this will protect you from rain fall in case it rains when you are still trekking chimpanzees.
- Hat and sunglasses, these will protect your head from rainfall and direct sunshine during the dry season.
- Walking stick, the walking stick is provided at the starting point and it’s used for support during trekking especially in the steep slopes and it will protect you from sliding or falling.
- Energy snacks, the energy snacks include packed lunch from the lodge and enough drinking water. Chimpanzee trekking is unpredictable just like gorilla trekking therefore you need to carry energy snacks to give you energy when trekking chimpanzees for long hours.
- Camera, when going for chimpanzee trekking activity in Nyungwe national park you should have a charged camera and also carry extra batteries so as to capture all the moments and also take a lot of pictures during the one hour with the chimpanzee family.
- Binoculars, Nyungwe forest and Cyamudongo forest are both habitats for various bird species therefore the binoculars will help you to clearly view different bird species in the forest which will give you great memories and experience on your safari in Nyungwe forest national park.
- Backpack, this is a bag that will be used to carry all your items including the energy snacks, camera, chimpanzee trekking permit, binoculars among others.
About Nyungwe Forest National Park.
Nyungwe Forest national park is located in North West of Kigali city in Rwanda. The national park is situated approximately 218 kilometers from Kigali which is about a 5 to 6 hours’ drive.
The park was established as a national park in 2004 and covers 970 square kilometers. It is the top destination for chimpanzee trekking safaris in Rwanda. The park is mainly dominated by rainforests, grassland, bamboo, swamps and marshland.
The national park inhabits a total of 1000 species that are located in the middle of a tea plantation, with the Cyamudongo forest being the most favorable trekking site for tourists. Other stunning attractions in the national park include the Canopy walkway, Isumo waterfalls, and golden monkeys.
Activities Offered in Nyungwe Forest National Park.
Aside from chimpanzee trekking, Nyungwe forest national park also offers activities such as; canopy walk, hiking, forest nature walks, birding, trekking the Congo Nile Trail, primate tracking and camping among others.
Accommodation in Nyungwe Forest National Park in Rwanda.
Visiting looking to spend a longer period of time in the park can find accommodation in the following facilities; Nyungwe Forest Lodge, Gisakura Guest House, Nyungwe Top View Hotel, One & Only Nyungwe House, and Nyungwe Nziza Eco Lodge among others.
When best visit Nyungwe Forest National Park.
The best time for visitors to visit Nyungwe Forest national park is during the dry season which are between December-February and from June- August. However, you can always pay a visit to this amazing national park at any time of the year.