Travel Guide for Akagera National Park
Travel Guide for Akagera National Park will give you an insight into the best safari tours in Rwanda’s Akagera National Park. Akagera national park is known for its big five animals and a number of attractions and activities that can be carried out to ensure that you have an amazing safari experience within the park. But before you embark on your journey to akagera national park, you should consider a number of different items that should be considered on the travel guide for akagera national park as explained below;
For you to have an amazing trip in akagera national park you should consider packing the appropriate clothing to ensure that you have the most comfortable tour while in Rwanda that will not be influenced by your choice of clothing and the different equipment to pack for the tour;
- Light clothes should be packed because the best time to visit Akagera National Park is during the dry months to ensure that you have the most amazing experience in the park during the scorching sunshine in the park.
- Insect repellent to avoid any insect bites while in the park for instance during nature walks were near the swamps you can find a number of mosquitoes in the park.
- Binoculars to enable you to see a number of bird species within the park.
- A camera to capture the beautiful views within the park.
- Safari jacket, safari hat to protect you from the sunlight.
- Swimsuits because a given number of lodges have swimming pools.
- Sunscreen for people with sensitive skin.
Best time to visit Akagera National Park
In order to participate in a number of activities in akagera national park, you will have to know the best time to visit Akagera National Park in order to have an amazing time while in the park. Visiting Akagera National Park depends on the weather conditions in the park that will help you have the most amazing experience as you participate in the different activities within the park, for instance, the boat cruise on Lake Ihema, sport fishing on Lake Shakani, nature walks among other exhilarating activities within the park.
Rwanda has two dry seasons and two wet seasons that can influence your stay within the country and the activities that you choose to participate in. The long wet season is seen during the months of mid-February to May and from mid-September and mid-December which is the short wet season. The dry season is in the month of June to mid-September which is the perfect time to visit the park when the weather is conducive to participate in a number of activities within the park.
Attractions in Akagera National Park
- Big five animals: Akagera National Park is a home to the big five animals that is the lions, the leopard, the rhino, the buffalos and the elephants. In the park, you will get the opportunity to see a number of attractions like the herbivores like the zebras, warthogs, hippos, bushbucks among other attractions within the park to ensure that you have an amazing time while in the park. These can be seen during the game drives in akagera national park and the boat cruise in akagera national park to ensure that you will have an amazing time within the park.
- Water Bodies: The water bodies within the park include Lake Ihema, lake Shakani, river akagera among others which will ensure that you have an amazing trip within the park. Some of the activities that can be carried out on the water bodies include the boat cruise where you will see a number of water birds like the African Fish Eagle, the open billed stork, the egrets, cormorants, Senegal lapwings, African darter, Hammerkop, Caruthers’s cisticola, pied crow, black-headed weaver, fan tailed widow bird, violet’s black weaver, long-crested Eagle.
- The boat cruise will also enable you to have the best views within the park as you get the cool breeze from the water bodies. Some of the animal species can be seen on the river banks, shores of the different lakes where they can be seen quenching their thirst from the water of the lakes, for instance, the topis, the impalas, zebras, elephants, giraffes among other animal species. Other activities that can be carried out include birding where you will see a number of different bird species that can be seen including the endangered shoe bill stork and many others.
Safety of the park
In the Travel Guide for Akagera National Park, you need to know about the safety of the park. While visiting akagera national park, one should not be reluctant to visit the park because of the worry that it can be a very unsafe place to visit in Rwanda due to the fact that the Rwanda genocide that happened in 1994. It is important to note that the Rwanda genocide made the Rwandans stronger and united as one group of people that consider one another family. Interesting about visiting Rwanda is the fact that every street in Rwanda has armed military men to ensure that there is law and order maintained and also police cells on the main streets to ensure law and order within the country that in case of any problem you can ask for help.
In akagera national park, safety in the park is guaranteed within the park because before you enter the park you are first checked at the security checkpoint where you will be checked of any threats, while you cleared to enter the park, you will see park rangers within the park that are responsible for your protection within the park.
They will ensure that during your trips you don’t get any accidents within the park. Before you participate in any activities in akagera national park, you will have to first go through a briefing about the activities that you’re going to participate in to ensure that you have an amazing trip without any security threats. The reason as to why they brief you during the activities is to avoid different accidents that can happen during the activities.
While visiting Rwanda you should have the necessary travel document in order to access akagera national park. While traveling to Rwanda you should have the valid documents for entry into the country, for instance, a tourist should have the following documents to ensure that they have an amazing time within the park;
- A valid passport that has a validity of not less than 6 months.
- For tourists that are within the East African community like Uganda and Kenya, they should have national identification cards.
- Yellow fever card, from a recognized health facility.
- The tourist’s passport should have blank pages that will enable that the immigration office puts stamps on your entry within the park.