8 Days Akagera and Queen Elizabeth Wildlife Safari
8 Days Akagera and Queen Elizabeth Wildlife Safari: This is an ideal wildlife package for the wildlife lovers. Take on an 8 day safari to the western part of Uganda in search of the wildlife that the Akagera national park and the Queen Elizabeth national park have to offer.
Akagera national park is located in the north eastern part of Rwanda is the country’s only wildlife park and boosts a great number of wildlife like rhinos, lions, giraffes and the smaller game like the Kobs and has 500 plus bird species.
Queen Elizabeth national park is one of the national parks of Uganda that boosts a number of wildlife like the tree climbing lions, elephants, buffaloes, hippos to mention but a few and a number of birdlife.
The activities done on this safari gives you a chance to explore the beauty of the 2 wildlife parks.
Trip highlights of the 8 Days Akagera and Queen Elizabeth Wildlife Safari
- Game drives
- Boat cruises
- Cultural tour
- Lake Katwe visit
- Ishasha sector visit
- Tree climbing lions
Day 1: Leave Kigali for Akagera national park
- 2 hour road transfer: Your driver guide will meet up with you in the morning to pick you up from your hotel in Kigali to orient you and transfer you to Akagera national park. You will have a Kigali city tour visiting the major 2 points that is the Kigali Genocide Memorial grounds and the Kimironko market, have lunch and after connect to Akagera national park arriving in the evening hours to check into your hotel for dinner and night stay.
Accommodation in Akagera national park
- Akagera game lodge for budget and midrange
- Karenge bush camp for midrange
- Rusizi tented camp for luxury
Day 2: Morning game drive and Lake Ihema boat trip
- Half day game drive: Wake up in the Akagera park at your hotel and connect for breakfast and after join your driver guide who will transfer you to the park reception where you will meet your Akagera ranger guide and drive to explore the dry savannah park The game drive will be for about 4 to 5 hours viewing the different animals in the park like the rhinos, elephants, giraffes, lions and the antelopes. You will after connect back to your hotel for a warm lunch to regain your energy.
- Lake Ihema boat cruise: In the afternoon after the day has cooled, you will drive to the lake Ihema for your scheduled afternoon boat trip. This boat trip is where you get to see the water animals of Akagera national park like the crocodiles and the hippos and also is a great viewing point for the birds of Akagera.
After the boat trip, you will connect back to your hotel or dinner and end the day at the hotel of the night before.
Day 3: Cultural tour and evening game drive
- Community cultural experience: After having your breakfast at the hotel, your driver guide will be waiting to drive you to the park reception where you will get a ranger guide to accompany you on the community visit. This tour gives you an opportunity to interact with the local people of Rwanda staying near the park. Also get educated and entertained by them on their cultural dances and way of living. Return to your lodge for lunch and relax as you wait for the night game drive.
- Evening game drive in Akagera national park: The night game drive in Akagera national park starts at 5:30 pm and go on all the way up to 8:30 where you will be expected to be getting back to your hotel. Get to catch the nocturnal animals on this night game drive. Dinner will be served and another night will be spent in the park.
Day 4: Leave Kigali for Queen Elizabeth national park
- 6 to 7 hour road transfer: Have an early breakfast and leave Akagera national park for Queen Elizabeth national park. Drive for about 3 hours and cross to Uganda to connect to Queen Elizabeth national park that is 4 hours away from the Katuna border with an enroute lunch. Drive to connect further to enter the park before the gates close. You will check into your accommodation and refresh as you await dinner to get ready.
Hotel options in Queen Elizabeth national park
- Mweya Safari lodge for luxury
- Park View safari lodge for midrange
- Engiri game lodge for budget
Day 5: Morning game drive with afternoon launch cruise
- Morning game drive: As early as 6 am, wake up for a quick breakfast and set out to the park to catch the early risers on the morning game drive. You will encounter a variety of wildlife like elephants, rhinos, buffaloes, lions, antelopes like the Impalas, waterbucks and also see the warthogs among the few.
- Launch cruise on Kazinga channel: Take some time exploring the vast lands of the park and later return to your hotel to relax and wait for the sun to cool abit and connect to the Kazinga channel for the afternoon boat trip where you get to see the aquatic life of Queen Elizabeth national park like the crocodiles and the number of bird species and also watch the biggest number of hippos wallowing at the banks of the river. Get back to your hotel for dinner and a second night at the hotel.
Day 6: Lake Katwe visit and transfer to Ishasha sector
- Lake Katwe crater lake visit: Have breakfast at your hotel shortly before checking out of the hotel to connect to Ishasha wildlife sector. You will leave the hotel and connect to Lake Katwe salt pans for a visit and be educated by the locals about the salt mining experience that happens on this Crater Lake. Drive further to connect to the Ishasha sector famously known for the tree climbing lions. Arrive in time for lunch and spend the rest of the day enjoying the hotel until dinner is served and you spend your first night in this virgin land.
Accommodation options in Ishasha sector
- Ishasha wilderness camp for luxury
- Ishasha jungle lodge for midrange
Day 7: Lion experience in Ishasha sector
- Lion experience game drive: The lion experience as an activity will expect you to be up by 5 am to prepare for it. You drive for about 2 hours to meet the pride of tree climbing lions in the Ishasha sector. The Ishasha sector is wilder and less developed as compared to the Mweya peninsula. Enjoy the savannah lands and return to your hotel after the activity. Spend the evening relaxing and dinner will be served and you will spend the second night in Ishasha.
Day 8: Transfer to Kampala
- 7 to 8 hour road transfer: After your morning cup of coffee and accompaniments, connect with your driver guide to drive back to Kampala to end the tour. You will drive for about 7 to 8 hours via Mubende with an enroute lunch and arrive back to Kampala in the evening hours. You will advise the driver guide where you would prefer to be dropped off.
End of the
Quotation to include
- Fueled safari vehicle
- Intellectual driver guide
- Accommodation all nights on safari
- Activities as indicated on the itinerary
- Meals all trip (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- Bottled water
Quotation to exclude
- International flights
- Visa fees
- Alcoholic beverages
- Optional activities not mentioned in the itinerary
- Personal needs like airtime, laundry and gratuities