5 days Nyungwe and Akagera Safari
Highlights of the 5 days Nyungwe and Akagera Safari
- Day 1: Pick up from Kigali and transfer to Akagera National Park
- Day 2: Game drive and Ihema boat trip
- Day 3: Transfer to Nyungwe forest National Park
- Day 4: Chimpanzee and Canopy Walk
- Day 5: Drive back to Kigali
Day 1: Pick up from Kigali and transfer to Akagera National Park
- Transfer to Akagera: Get in touch with your driver to connect for the start of this 5 days Nyungwe and Akagera Safari. You will meet at around 8 am at the airport or the advised point of pick up and drive north of Rwanda for about 2 and a half hours until you reach the southern gate of the park. You will be welcomed by the pure air of the park. Connect to check in to your lodge and freshen up, have lunch.
- Afternoon Game Drive: After lunch set out for an afternoon game drive which gives you the opportunity to view the wildlife of Akagera National Park that is the lions, rhinos, giraffes, elephants and also the several different antelope species. You will spend a maximum of 5 hours on this drive before you set out back to your accommodation before dinner. Have dinner and overnight at the selected lodge of budget.
Day 2: Game drive and Ihema boat trip
- Game Driver: This day gives you a second chance to look out for the animals you may have not been able to see the previous evening in the park. After breakfast, meet your driver-guide and be at the starting point by 9am to enjoy the drive in the several trails of the park. You will meet the early raisers and hunters looking for their day’s meal.
- Boat Trip: Have lunch and connect for the boat trip on Lake Ihema. This boat trip lasts 1 hour with a maximum of 11 people on board. You will get to see more of the park on the lake like the aquatic animals like the crocodiles, hippopotami enjoying the waters and the several birds like the African fish eagle and cattle egret. Find your way back to your accommodation with your driver-guide and spend the evening at leisure as you await the last dinner in the park.
Day 3: Transfer to Nyungwe forest National Park
- Transfer to Nyungwe: Wake up to a very long but eventful day. Have breakfast and connect southwards to Nyungwe forest national park. You will have lunch enroute with museum visits on the way to Butare and also the King’s palace. You will arrive late evening to your lodge to rest and be fresh for the chimpanzee and canopy walk for the next day.
Day 4: Chimpanzee and Canopy Walk
- Chimpanzee Trekking: As early as 5 am, you and your guide will set out to the Nyungwe park headquarters for the morning briefing before the trek. Head out in the cold forest with the primate echoes being heard from a distance for about 2 to 5 hours. Chimpanzees are active so you will keep seeing them swing from one tree branch to another unlike the gorillas that stay n one place and you are able to study them. You will also spend about 1 hour then set out of the forest for a late breakfast.
- Canopy Walk: In the afternoon after lunch, you will go to take on the afternoon canopy walk on the 2 meters high suspended bridge. You will connect back to your accommodation for dinner and overnight as the night before.
Day 5: Drive back to Kigali
- Cultural Tour and Departure: This will be a more leisurely drive back to Kigali with the visits enroute that you may have missed that is the King’s palace, Butare museum and connect to Kigali for drop off. This day you may opt to include an optional visit as you may have some time to spare. Drop off will be at your hotel in Kigali or as you will advise.
End of the 5 days Nyungwe and Akagera Safari
See also: 3 Days Akagera With Walk Line