Lake Mburo national park is located in the western part of Uganda in Kiruhura district in Nyabushozi County near Mbarara district. Lake Mburo national park was initially a hunting area in 1933 before it was upgrading to a reserve in 1963 and later turned into the current national park in 1983. It is the smallest national park amidst the 10 national parks in Uganda because it is on an area of approximately 260 square kilometers. The Banyankore are the local people surrounding this park with a cultural museum just near the Sanga gates outside the park known as Igongo cultural center where the items that represent the customs and history of Ankole kingdom are kept.
Attractions at Lake Mburo national park
Birds; Lake Mburo national park has a variety of more than 350 bird species which include African fin foot, Abyssinian ground hornbill, mosque swallow, brown-chested lapwing, hairy-breasted barbet, greater painted-snipe, African scops owl, blue-headed coucal, papyrus Gonolek, blue-breasted kingfisher and many more.
Mammals; lake Mburo national park has over 68 mammals species including the carnivores for example the leopards, serval cats and spotted hyenas, herbivores for example the bush pigs, oribis, impalas and bush buck, reptiles for example Nile crocodile, lizards snakes and chameleons and lastly primates for example vervet monkeys and olive baboons.
Activities at Lake Mburo national park
Bird watching; while at lake Mburo national park, one can easily spot birds like ; Emerald-spotted Wood, Rufous-bellied Heron, Red-faced Barbet, Green Wood-hoopoe, Red-headed Lovebird, Ross’s Turaco, Black-bellied Bustard and Nubian Woodpecker at the swampy valleys of Miriti and the Warukiri as well as the roadsides between Rwonyo camp as well as jetty.
Boat cruise; while on a boat cruise one can be able to see the animals that come at the lake during the dry season like the buffaloes and hippos plus the flora on the lake not forgetting the birds like king fisher, herons, pelicans and the rare shoe bill
Game drives; this is the best way one can see the animals at the park. There are night game drives where the major aim is to see animals like lions that hunt their prey in the dark and morning game drives.
Sport fishing; this is also known as recreational fishing. It includes the use of hooks, fishing rods, or reels, just like any other method of fishing. Therefore one can also involve is this activity while at lake Mburo national park.
Mountain biking; one can decide to go on a bike tour more especially in the dry season for the best experience between the months of June to august. Animals can be seen while one is carrying out biking at the park.
Hiking and nature walk; tourists can walk around the park and tour every corner of the park with an armed ranger for guidance and safety purposes. During the nature walk one can easily spot a place for the best view of the animals and other creatures in the park.
Cultural visits; while at lake Mburo national park, one can go ahead to visit the Igongo cultural museum which showcases the traditional origin of the Bahima and Banyankore people.
Accommodations at Lake Mburo national park
- Arcadia cottages; this is 2 km from Rwonyo headquarters around the tropical garden near lake Mburo shores
- Kigambira safari lodge; it is a luxury eco-lodge lodge in the southern part of lake Mburo national park
- Rwakobo rock; it is found on granite rock outside Lake Mburo National Park
- Mihingo lodge; it is located in the southern boundary of the park on rock kopje.
- Hyena hill lodge; it is located outside the park on the boundary of lake Mburo near Sanga gates
- Mburo eagles nest; this is a budget accommodation facility.
- Leopard rest camp; it is a budget accommodation facility outside lake Mburo national park
- Lake Mburo luxury tented camp; located inside of Lake Mburo National Park
- Mantana tented camp; this is located at the border of the park at rwamahungu hill.
- Rwonyo rest camp; this is located at Rwonyo Tourist Centre just within Lake Mburo National The camp is managed by Uganda Wildlife Authority
- Mburo safari lodge; this is at the border of the park and a mid-range facility and many more